Huawei data card modems are in huge demand now a days as are available unlocked and are compatible with most of the 3g service providers in India like BSNL, MTNL, AirTel, Tata Docomo, Reliance, IDEA, AIRCEL , Vodafone.
I am using Huawei UMG1831 3G USB Data Card Modem 21 Mbps with BSNL 3g connection. From the reviews over the internet forums it is found that this Huawei card is far far better than one sold by BSNL vendors. This Huawei UMG1831 3G USB Data Card can is designed for download speed upto 21 Mbps but at present it depends on tower you are connecting which is max. ~7 Mbps
Features of Huawei UMG1831 3G USB Data Card Modem
- Standards for data transmission HSPA / HSDPA / HSUPA/3G / EDGE / GPRS
- Quad-band GSM (850/900/1800/1900 MHz)
- Receive data up to 21 Mbps (downlink)
- Sending data to 5.76 Mbps (uplink)
- Works on both 2g and 3g networks
- Operating systems : Windows 2000, XP (SP2),Windows 7, Ubuntu, Fedora
- Video calling using ‘Mobile Partner’ software
Step-by-step guide for connecting Huawei UMG1831 3g USB Data Card to the internet:
- Connect Huawei USB card to PC/Laptop and install the drivers for the modem which are supplied with modem only. And once installation is complete, launch “T-Mobile webConnect Manager”
- We need to create new profile to start accessing the Internet. Select Tools -> Profiles…
- Add new profile as shown below. Select ‘Broadband’ from the list.
- Select ‘Custom Custom Profile’ from list. On next page provide access method for connection. For BSNL 3G it is as shown below and leave other settings as it is.
- Once Done, you can see the profile created.
- Other features of inbuilt available software with Huawei UMG1831 3G USB Data Card Modem like Usage checking, etc