And finally the dream of “Mobile Number Portability” (MNP) has come true, the move initiated by Department of Telecommunications (DoT) two years ago.
The deadline which missed couple of times owing to the differences between DoT and GSM Mobile Operators. Telecom Minister Mr. Kapil Sibal launched the service in Haryana on 25th Nov 2010. However for rest of India still have to wait till 20th Jan 2011 to avail the service.
Rules and Regulations regarding Mobile Number Portability:
- Mobile subscribers has to to pay nominal fee (Rs 19/- in Haryana state) to switch between operators.
- Post-paid subscriber has clear all dues before switching.
- Pre-paid subscriber will loose all the remaining balance as it wont be carried forward.
- The process will take maximum seven working days and the subscriber will be allowed to cancel his request to port within 24 hours.
- Mobile service will be off for about 2-3 hrs during switching process.
- Once ported, a subscriber will not be allowed to switch operators before 90 days.
Steps to follow for Mobile Number Portability (MNP):
- Send an SMS to 1900 in following format: PORT 9822XXXXXX
where 9822XXXXXX is your number.
- You will get an SMS reply that contains a unique porting code from current subscriber.
- Put request to new subscriber with this unique code which will remain valid for few days. One has to fill the application and submit all relevant documents again to new subscriber.
Number portability will be available from all the GSM Mobile operators of India which includes Vodafone, Airtel, IDEA, Aircell, Uninor, BSNL, Reliance, Videocon, and so on.